eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Dec 8th, 2008, 12:40 pm
eslHQ Member

HOS STUDENT is on a distinguished road
Default TEACHING ENGLISH TO HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY

Hello to all members. My name is Aaron, a college student majoring in hospitality management. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with getting started teaching english to hospitality employees. Living here in Las Vegas I have noticed a large influx of immigrants relocating here due to the hospitality jobs available. I was thinking about getting certified to teach English and possibly get a position (part-time/full-time) helping the people with the industry language. In my opinion, I think both the employee and company would benefit as a result of better language skills. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron
Unread Dec 8th, 2008, 03:13 pm
Compelling Conversations

Eric18 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: TEACHING ENGLISH TO HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY

Your instincts are excellent here. There's a rich variety of strong vocational English books, and a few specifically targeted for hospitality industry. Levels, of course, matter.

"Day by Day" probably remains the most popular general VESL textbook. It provides 6-10 variations of practical, everyday work situations in a communicative style. Adding a picture dictionary and workbook for lower level (maids, etc) speakers is also recommended. The Oxford University series remains my favorite.

For intermediate and more advanced English language learners, you can explore some more specialized textbooks like the U.S. Department of Education books created just for hotel workers. (I can't recall their title, but check Amazon or the Department of Education website.) You might also check OTAN - set up by the California Department of Adult Education for materials. If the students are interested in more management type positions, you might also take a look at the outstanding English for Business book in the Professional English series from Thomson.

You might also checkout the language software program called "English on the Job" that has developed a solid reputation among vocational schools in California. Finally, you might check to see if the local unions provide free workshops and/or ESL classes. I helped design some vocational workshops this summer for low level English language learners in Los Angeles hospital workers. Sometimes these tailored courses can cover far more ground - in a friendly, less stressful manner - than other ESL courses.

As the economy tightens, I expect the need for adult education and VESL programs to dramatically increase. Let's see whether if Obama administration chooses to invest in these new workers, expands English language programs, and promotes comprehensive immigration reform. Keep your fingers crossed.

Good luck!

Eric
eric@compellingconversations.com
www.compellingconversations.com

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity."
Aristotle, 4th Century BCE, Greek philosopher