eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jan 12th, 2012, 05:31 pm
eslHQ Member

Eman A.M is on a distinguished road
Question teaching kids English grammar

I am teaching non English kids the English language,can any one advise me about teaching them how do we form a wh question like : who is she? or how do we form a yes /no question..I think that explaining grammar to kids is more diffecult than adults,do you think that I should be strict to the kids in learning the grammar? I am looking for attractive way in teaching them
Unread Jan 14th, 2012, 03:20 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: teaching kids English grammar

How old are they? If you mean young kids, then don't mention grammar at all - just teach the language through play. If you provide plenty of exposure (good quality talk around their games) and build in chances to repeat the language in games and songs, they'll start to pick up individual words and chunks of language. Young children can't analyse grammar - they learn a second language as they learnt their first - by being exposed to meaningful input. Your job is to provide that input.
Have a look at the ESL Games and Activities forum here, and then, if you Google Teaching young children English you'll find links to lots of sites which suggest other activities and/or contain articles on teaching kids.
Unread Jan 16th, 2012, 09:13 am
eslHQ Member

Eman A.M is on a distinguished road

hi Susan,
they are 8- 9-10 years old..Thanks for your advice
Unread Jan 17th, 2012, 03:25 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road

The best thing you can do is find a good textbook specifically aimed at that age group, which also has a good teacher's book. Have a look at the sites of eg Oxford University Press and Pearson Longman for ideas (Google the name of the publisher followed by ELT), and also those of educational publishers from your own country. Look for their primary level catalogue and also any on-site resources they provide. I particularly recommend the Pearson Longman Primary Place section.
When you've chosen your book, you'll find the Student's Book is full of games and activities, while the Teacher's Book will explain how to use them most effectively. But what you won't find at that age is lots of grammar analysis, so don't worry about that aspect.