eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Aug 26th, 2007, 11:54 pm
eslHQ Member

hailensi is on a distinguished road
Default Teaching phonics ideas

Hi,I still don't have any experience of teaching children.I will teach kindergarten children in South Korea.Does anyone have any idea to teach phonics to young learner(one class is for kids 4-5years old & the aother class is for kids 6-7 years old).What kind of activity can make them interest?Please let me know any website related to phonics activity.Thank you.
Unread Aug 31st, 2007, 10:04 pm
ESL Teacher

siritwan is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Teaching phonics ideas

I am not sure if I will be able to help...I have been teaching phonics to Kindergarten children in Thailand for the past year now.

The method I use (for teaching the 4-5 year olds) is to have the kids sit in a big circle with me, and then I introduce the words using flashcards. I start by showing the kids a picture of the word (for example a picture of a cat) and than tell them that it is c-a-t cat.
I then hand the flashcard to the first kid sat in the circle and have them repeat what I say and have them look at the picture. This continues a round the circle.
I usually use one phonics theme a week, for example one week i use about four or five words using the sound -at.
I then base the rest of the lesson on these phonics words, using colouring in sheets and crafts, so the kids can practice saying the words and remember them.

You can vary the difficulty of the words depending on the age group of the kids.
With the 3 year olds i use the sounds of the alphabet, for example, and then we learn some basic words using those sounds.

Good luck with your teaching!
Unread Sep 1st, 2007, 01:22 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching phonics ideas

The big thing in the beginning is to isolate the sounds and get them to understand that the letters have different reading than their names. Some teachers don't even teach the names of the letters, just the reading /a/ /b/ /c/ /d/ ... I don't do that because I have problems with the posibility of this situation:

Ss: How do you spell 'back'?
T: /b/ /a/ /k/ /k/.
Ss: How do you spell 'cheese'?
T: /k/ /h/ /e/ /e/ /s/ /e/.

Anyway, what I do is introduce a letter a day, teach them the name, teach them two words that start with that letter (isolating the sound,) and then explain how we read it.

When we get through to 'G' or so, I start to show the students how to blend those sounds together to make words like 'bed' 'bag' 'bad' and 'egg' and continue on with a letter a day.

After you hit Z, they should be confortable with 3 letter words and you can start consonant blends and then consonant digraphs or long vowels (v+c+e)

You can go faster than that but I wouldn't push more than 3 letters a day.

There are free phonics workbooks you can download and print out from Fun Fonix.com. There are also some games for students to use to practice phonics skills. Lastly, you can also make your own phonics worksheets using the phonics worksheet makers or download the clipart and make your own worksheets.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by mesmark : Apr 17th, 2009 at 06:04 pm.
Unread Sep 1st, 2007, 01:29 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

Sorry, you asked for activities:

Lay out alphabet flashcards and have the students race to slap a letter as you give the reading. Do something like /r/, then /e/ and finally /d/. Write them on the board as you do them and have the students read the word once you've finished with 'd.' Then start to do another word.

Play this game enough times and you'll start to see kids anticipating the final letter. /b/, then /e/, now two or three kids are already waiting for you to say /d/.
Unread Mar 26th, 2012, 01:43 pm
eslHQ Member

lipofootoo is on a distinguished road

You'll find a bunch of ideas and how-to videos here for teaching phonics. They were all shot in Korea actually too.