eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jul 9th, 2006, 07:49 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road
Default Teaching Privates

Hi all,

I am wondering what is everybody's take on teaching private classes? Where you are do you get asked my many students? Do you turn them down because it's illegal (or not, depends where you are) or do you teach them? How much do you charge?

-livinginkorea
Unread Jul 9th, 2006, 09:25 pm
eslHQ Addict

fishead soup is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching Privates

Quote:
Quote livinginkorea
Hi all,

I am wondering what is everybody's take on teaching private classes? Where you are do you get asked my many students? Do you turn them down because it's illegal (or not, depends where you are) or do you teach them? How much do you charge?

-livinginkorea

The botton line is its illegal. Many people talk about it like its no big deal when in reality your visa will be canceled you can be imprisoned or fined or all three. In reality an illegal work bust almost 100% of time results in being deported and fired.

There are tons of horror stories out there of people whose families have been separated because one member was working illegally. Your embassy won't come to your aid too.

I've been appraoched numerous times by people wanting me to teach their children privately. Since I don't accept these jobs I find these people to be a source of annoyance since many of them constanty badger you even after you said no. Many of them claim to know some high up officials that can help you get out of trouble. I take this with a grain of sand and politley decline the offer.
Unread Jul 9th, 2006, 10:00 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

i don't do them either, but not because it's illegal as getting caught doesn't seem too likely, at least not in daejeon. (i'm just too lazy and enjoy making websites over making money.) additionally, the teacher is not the only one that receives a fine, which i heard was about $5,000. The family that hired you will also get an equivalent fine. i'm not sure if you would face deportation...

going rate in daejeon is around 35,000-40,000, depending on the number of students in a class. if you are teaching professionals you'll usually get paid more.
Unread Jul 9th, 2006, 10:18 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Teaching in an elementary school, I get offered private classes quite a lot but I always refuse them. It's not because I'm lazy (like Eric ), it's just the likelyhood if I was to get caught. I didn't want to be deported and leave my girlfriend and life behind. Now that girl is my wife so things are more stable in regards to me staying here.

I did privates a long time ago when I came to Korea first but soon gave them up when I realised how dangerous they were. Having said that I know some people who teach a lot of privates and they admit that they have to be very careful.

I know that it's very easy for people to take these private classes. Parents these days are crazy about wanting their children to learn English so naturally that makes some people very very rich in the private department.

I heard that if you get caught that the parents get fined too. That's reasonable enough especially when they are so pushy for the class in the first place!
Unread Jul 11th, 2006, 08:53 am
eslHQ Member

ruth1966 is on a distinguished road

Whenever I was asked to teach privates I would always say " sorry very busy" but if they persisted I'd have them contact my director and ask for "permission". The reason being that he'd let us use a classroom in the academy (if we wanted to) for that.I never took him up on his offer as I don't like doing privates, but my co workers worked out a deal with him. Quite an exceptional circumstance though I think.
Disclaimer : Don't all go running and asking your director for use of his classroom to teach privates in...
Unread Jul 11th, 2006, 01:25 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

that sounds like an interesting way to do it. my director at my current school occassionally asks me if i want a private that he knows about. i always feel bad turning him down as he is my director.
Unread Jul 11th, 2006, 11:14 pm
CoolThailand

HarryPalmer is on a distinguished road

Teaching privates in Thailand is quite normal, yet probably illegal. It's a way to supplement the relatively poor pay that you earn at a school.
Unread Jul 11th, 2006, 11:22 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Quote:
Quote HarryPalmer
Teaching privates in Thailand is quite normal, yet probably illegal. It's a way to supplement the relatively poor pay that you earn at a school.
As a matter of interest, how much is the pay?
Unread Jul 12th, 2006, 12:13 am
Unregistered

I wouldn't do it for less than 500 baht an hour. Japanese students are willing to pay up to 750 an hour.

If you can get two or three students then of course you can lower the cost individually but charge more as a group.
Unread Jul 12th, 2006, 12:14 am
CoolThailand

HarryPalmer is on a distinguished road

^ See above.
Unread Jul 12th, 2006, 12:46 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Quote:
Quote HarryPalmer
^ See above.
What does that convert into euros or dollars?