eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 27th, 2013, 02:34 am
eslHQ Member

Confuzzled is on a distinguished road
Default Too much vocab - too little time

Hi all

This is my first time posting and I'm sure I'm going to sound dumb as bricks but here goes...

I can find and make interesting activities easily but I'm having trouble in implementing them successfully especially if they have a lot of extra vocabulary that is not directly related to the lesson.

What time-effective strategies do you use when presenting an activity that has, say, 5-10 unfamiliar words?
(For example, a 'Who dunnit?' role play to practice past simple/continuous but which uses a lot of extra crime, job or place vocabulary)

Do you pre-teach them all CELTA style? Just give them a list of difficult and get them to check in a dictionary? Any other ideas?

What about if you give them a worksheet to practice a grammar point? Do you check they know or the vocab on it or just let them figure it out?
Unread Nov 30th, 2013, 12:52 pm
Teacher and Blogger

abarboza is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Too much vocab - too little time

Have you tried teaching new vocabulary before starting the lesson? Like writing a list of "new words for today's class" and explaining the meaning? That could do the trick.
Unread Aug 20th, 2014, 09:47 am
eslHQ Zealot

Pix is on a distinguished road

Hello there,

I like using mime to learn vocabulary since it is very effective as far as remembering the words in the long term.

Take six new words and with the class make up a simple gesture that depicts the word in some way. Start with three words and, once the gestures are in place, call out the words randomly. Each time you say a word the class make the gesture. Feed in three more words until all six are known.

Next show the class how the words are written.
And then play a gap fill game with a twist using sentences that contain all six new words.
Great speaking activity for beginners

Be sure to revise the words in the next lesson to anchor them using a simple game like Hangman, or a memory game, or quizz where students give definitions of words amongst other types of questions.

There are plenty of ideas for teaching vocab and grammar in my Classroom Activities for Teens and Adults, in paperback or download.

Last edited by Pix : Jul 3rd, 2022 at 09:05 am. Reason: update to links
Unread Sep 11th, 2014, 07:30 pm
eslHQ Member

Brandy @ TESOL Lifestyle is on a distinguished road

Hello Confuzzled,

If you have technology in your room, you can use Simple free learning tools for students and teachers | Quizlet. You input the words and definitions then use Quizlet's flashcards and a couple of games it offers as a class. Also, the students can register for free and then practice by themselves with their smart phones on the go!