eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread May 30th, 2006, 07:22 pm
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road
Default What shows do you show?

What TV shows, if any, do you show to your students?

I show 'Pimp my ride' to my call centre trainees (to expose them to slang), and I show 'the Apprentice' to my Business English classes.

I've tried 'Friends' with General English classes at advanced level. They laughed along with the laugh track although I don't think they really got the jokes.
Unread May 31st, 2006, 11:03 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

openmind is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What shows do you show?

It's a bit difficult for me to use TV shows in my training programs for a number reasons. I often use various audio recordings, especially TOEIC listening comprehension questions and self-mangement and business recordings...
Unread May 31st, 2006, 07:35 pm
Sifu

You didn't mention why it's difficult to show programs to your students, but I wanted to mention that you can now download TV shows from i-Tunes for $1.99. It's a great way to have a 'legal' selection of video resources.

www.peekvid.com shows content on demand if you have a fast connection.
Unread Jun 1st, 2006, 06:49 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

Hi emile, thanks for sharing these useful resources. Thinking of it again, it actually is quite possible for me to use TV or movies in my training programs. As a matter of fact, one of the companies I'm working with pointed out today that they might even offer their conference room which comes with a dolby-surround system. As for the legal side, I think you can show movies (from DVD's for example) in an English training session as long as you don't charge for the showing the movies. Am I right here or would that mean a copyright infringement?
Unread Jun 1st, 2006, 08:52 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

I think it was a stab at rips from file sharing software. I believe it to be cool but it does technically say 'any public performance' in their 'you can't/copyright violation section.'

I'm going to use some clips from 'Scrubs' in my Nursing college classes. They'll have to describe what they saw and thus they'll have to use some medical terms but also try to figure out the other madness that goes on in that show.

I was going to use 'E.R.' but that's a little dry for what I want to do.
Unread Jun 1st, 2006, 12:56 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

Hi Mark, could you please tell me whether or not you think it is OK to show a DVD (an entire movie) in your classroom? I think it is, as I remember an American business man doing exactly this -- he had brought all his videos from the States to Germany and he showed those movies in his private schools. He publicly avertised these shows but he didn't charge for them. I remember him explaining to me that it was legal. Anyway, what your thoughts on this?
Unread Jun 1st, 2006, 04:56 pm
eslHQ superstar!

I read a few years ago about changes in laws and laws governing media copyrights and the law goes so deep that it could mean I can't even lend you one of my DVDs. I believe the only showing that is legal is a private showing, meaning in your home or for just yourself.

However, I'm sure the movie industry does care about teachers show videos or movies in class and if you're not charging for the showing, they would probably just ask you to stop.
Unread Jun 1st, 2006, 06:53 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

Here's a cool game/activity when using video in the classroom that we discussed on ESL Teacher Talk:
http://www.eslteachertalk.com/2006/0...ibe-the-scene/

if i had video capabilities i'd certainly be playing it...
Unread Jun 4th, 2006, 08:01 pm
Sifu

People keep mentioning they don't have video capabilities. Aren't DVD players quite cheap these days? My mum just bought one from Krogers for $20.

I think Scrubs is a great idea for nurses. Any problems with them understanding the humor?
Unread Jun 7th, 2006, 05:47 pm
eslHQ superstar!

yeah, Scrubs is way too sarcastic and zanny. There's now way they'll be able to follow the actual show and ER is the other extreme, but they'll enjoy it and I'm not sure I'll actually let them watch the whole thing.

I'm going to do it this afternoon. we'll see how it goes.
Unread Jun 7th, 2006, 05:49 pm
eslHQ superstar!

Quote:
Quote emile
People keep mentioning they don't have video capabilities. Aren't DVD players quite cheap these days? My mum just bought one from Krogers for $20.
For me it's having a projector or big enough screne/monitor for everyone to see. Sometimes your forced into a room that doesn't have a TV either.
Unread Jun 7th, 2006, 08:01 pm
Sifu

BTW, my mum had to return her $20 DVD player - it wouldn't work with her 17 year-old t.v.

I work for an e-learning company, and my mum's Amish.