eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:51 am
eslHQ Member

M00nshine is on a distinguished road
Default Domino wizard worksheet

Hi,

can anybody help me to make a domino worksheet using pictures instead of dots. I would like to be able to play dominoes with a variety of themes, for example, animals, colours, jobs, flags whatever.

I already have some shape and word dominoes but would really love to be able to create my own but have no idea how to go about it.

I get the children to say for example "I'm putting down square and triangle, X needs circle and triangle", I'm knocking, pick up a domino, etc".

Would really appreciate help for this.
Unread Apr 4th, 2006, 09:56 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Domino wizard worksheet

You can use the minicards worksheet creator from this site.

- Browse the flash card section for the images you want to use
- Slect the pictures from the flash cards to add to your library
- Click the "make a worksheet" button and select "mini cards"

- Set the worksheet creator to 16 cards (4x4)
- Unclick the insert title box (unless you want the words printed)

Without the words they sit in the grid a little nicer for dominoes I think.

print out 2 copies and cut one copy up and down for 8 verical tiles and the other copy side to side for 8 horizontal tiles. That makes the game more complicated and fun for older students. You can make a rule that they can only use horizontal tiles horizontally and vertical tiles vertically.

Rinse and repeat for more cards!

I hope that helps.
Unread Apr 5th, 2006, 02:48 am
eslHQ Member

Smile Re: Domino wizard worksheet

Wow, so simple, who would have thought it. Thanks so much, that is a fantastic help. My younger kids love playing dominoes, so now we can really get going.
Unread Apr 5th, 2006, 08:27 am
eslHQ superstar!

MOOnshine - I'm glad that will work out for you. I realized after I hit submit reply that I missed a few steps in the process, but all's well that ends well.

If you can give us some other examples with the card sets you use and the language you use with dominoes, I would really appreciate it (and I'm sure others would as well.) Plus, we have the pefect dominoes creator on hand...

I've never played dominoes with my students but it sounds interesting and I'd like to try.

Happy teaching,
Mark
Unread Apr 5th, 2006, 09:25 am
eslHQ Member

Well, I found I was having trouble keeping the kids attention whilst listing new words. I generally introduce a phrase, in the above case "what shape is this?" and the kids reply "It's a diamond" or whatever but apart from looking for shapes in the room to recognise the symbol or just colouring in pictures of shapes or whatever not very much speaking was happening, that's when I discovered a set of dominoes with shapes on them.

I've found a few sets for various abilities. The first set is just the shapes which I use for the younger kids. They take X amount of cards so that there are a few left over. Then the conversation goes something like this "Okay, put down one domino to start, Paul says I'm putting down square and circle, Mary needs square or circle. Okay, Mary your turn. Mary say I'm putting down square and triangle, John needs circle or triangle, Okay John, your turn. John says, I'm knocking, I say take a domino from the pile, your turn Peter." etc, etc.

The second set has a picture of the shape on one side and a different written shape on the other, ie left hand side has a picture of a circle, right hand side has square written on it. The purpose here is to match the picture with either another picture or to match it with the written word or vice versa.

A third set (which I haven't yet tried) has coloured shapes on one side and a written colour on the other, ie a red triangle on the left hand side and the word yellow on the right hand side.

I have so far used the first two sets successfully but I have a limited number of children who can read so I thought just picture dominoes for the younger kids would be best. The groups I have are very small so it's then possible for me to hear all the kids say the target language in turn and as it's not too competitive a game they can help one another out if they can't remember the word as it doesn't influence the winning or losing. After the first child has used up all their dominoes, the game can still be continued until nobody can go any further.

I've just made up a set of weather and season dominoes using your worksheet wizard which I'll then laminate and cut up as you suggested horizontally and vertically to make another great set to use.

I hope my explanation is clear enough on how we play. As the kids get used to the vocab used in playing dominoes, I hope to expand it into longer sentences, ie I'm putting down square and circle, Mary needs to put down ... or ... I'm knocking as I don't have square or circle, I need to take a fresh domino." Something like that.

I have kids aged 2 to 8 in different groups and hope to be able to play this game with all of them at different levels but I only have a maximum of 10 children per group. For larger classes you would have to break the kids into smaller groups and flit from group to group to help out initially but then I should think this game could be self-controlled.

Cheers

M00nshine
Unread Jun 24th, 2006, 05:46 am
eslHQ Zealot

jenniferp is on a distinguished road

I used dominoes a couple of times. The most successful was when teaching plurals. They were just word cards, with either s es or ies on the one half and our target vocabulary,eg fox, baby, pencil etc on the other. The students were very competitive and would self correct each other if they made a mistake.
xx

ps Is there a way to incorporate words and pictures together to make a domino set?
Unread Jun 24th, 2006, 06:56 am
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

unfortunately, i don't think that's possible but it's a good idea. i'll keep that in mind for the future...

eric
Unread Mar 19th, 2007, 04:59 pm
eslHQ Member

penandpaper is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tip about the domino maker - I've since made a couple of sets which have gone down well (I've been looking for ages for a way of making dominoes, so thanks! I have had a few problems though with the dominoes though and am wondering if I'm doing something wrong?? The mini flashcard wizard seems to group the same pictures together all the time, making it difficult to do mixed up, horizontal cards (if you have say only 8 word to practise ie less than 16 different words). Is there a way round this? I've got round it by finding 2 or more different pictures for the same word but (apart from the extra work!) it can be a bit confusing (I have young kids too). I'm wondering though if the Bingo maker wouldn't do a better job as it lets you shuffle endlessly, and though it's an uneven number (you would have a mixed sheet of horizontals and verticals) it might solve this problem?? I haven't tried yet as I've always needed the words under the picture so far.
Unread Jan 27th, 2008, 10:12 pm
eslHQ Member

sgaskin is on a distinguished road

I am looking to use dominoes for a LOTE class and was also looking for a way to put pictures and words together to make a set of dominoes.
Unread Jun 23rd, 2011, 01:08 am
eslHQ Member

alycee is on a distinguished road

how do i play a domino game with pictures on the other side and words on the other side?
Unread Jun 23rd, 2011, 05:55 pm
eslHQ superstar!

Here is an explanation on how to play language games with dominoes
Unread Jun 24th, 2011, 06:09 am
eslHQ Member

I mistakenly used the word "side" instead of "half" which may be causing the confusion. The words and pictures are on the both side of the card, just in different halves.
Unread Jun 24th, 2011, 08:04 am
eslHQ superstar!

Quote:
Quote M00nshine View Post
I mistakenly used the word "side" instead of "half" which may be causing the confusion. The words and pictures are on the both side of the card, just in different halves.
I'm confused

So the cards are double sided? picture on one side and flip the card over and you have a different picture on the other side?
Unread Jun 24th, 2011, 08:34 am
eslHQ Member

Quote:
Sorry, don't know where my head is today. It should read: The words and pictures are both on the same side of the card, just in different halves, ie picture on the left and words on the right or vice versa. The back of the card is blank.