View Single Post
Unread Aug 31st, 2007, 10:04 pm
ESL Teacher

siritwan is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Teaching phonics ideas

I am not sure if I will be able to help...I have been teaching phonics to Kindergarten children in Thailand for the past year now.

The method I use (for teaching the 4-5 year olds) is to have the kids sit in a big circle with me, and then I introduce the words using flashcards. I start by showing the kids a picture of the word (for example a picture of a cat) and than tell them that it is c-a-t cat.
I then hand the flashcard to the first kid sat in the circle and have them repeat what I say and have them look at the picture. This continues a round the circle.
I usually use one phonics theme a week, for example one week i use about four or five words using the sound -at.
I then base the rest of the lesson on these phonics words, using colouring in sheets and crafts, so the kids can practice saying the words and remember them.

You can vary the difficulty of the words depending on the age group of the kids.
With the 3 year olds i use the sounds of the alphabet, for example, and then we learn some basic words using those sounds.

Good luck with your teaching!