View Single Post
Unread Mar 6th, 2008, 03:06 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ESL English basics

I think it's an attempt to create balance in a system that leans drastically in the other direction starting in JHS.

However, of course, all four are important if we're talking about children starting in elementary school. If you are talking about even younger students, then reading and writing can wait. It really depends a lot on the particular circumstances.

I teach children via mainly speaking, listening, and reading with some grammar and structural explanation in later stages. I don't include writing as a major part of my teaching because I know that's what they will mainly be doing once they turn 12. I also only introduce phonics rules to new learners. They will only be reading single words and working on phonics basics for several years while I build their language competence. Ideally, I want them to be able to understand what they read for the most part when the time comes.

Now, that's not all good. I turn out some pretty fluent speakers but they aren't very accurate. (I figue it's OK because they'll have accuracy driven into them for the next 6 years.)