eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Mar 6th, 2008, 01:14 am
eslHQ Addict

EngliPatrick is on a distinguished road
Default ESL English basics

I don't mean to confuse anyone by the topic but I was wanting to start a conversation about the 4 parts of learning when approaching learning English on the basic level.

Within the next 3 years, Japan is planning to officially teach English starting from grade 5 in elementary school. BUT, from all the information I gather, they are only going to focus on speaking and listening. I guess 2 out of 4 isn't bad but in my opinion 4 out of 4 would be better.

Should all four parts of learning be addressed in early language acquistion?
Unread Mar 6th, 2008, 03:06 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ESL English basics

I think it's an attempt to create balance in a system that leans drastically in the other direction starting in JHS.

However, of course, all four are important if we're talking about children starting in elementary school. If you are talking about even younger students, then reading and writing can wait. It really depends a lot on the particular circumstances.

I teach children via mainly speaking, listening, and reading with some grammar and structural explanation in later stages. I don't include writing as a major part of my teaching because I know that's what they will mainly be doing once they turn 12. I also only introduce phonics rules to new learners. They will only be reading single words and working on phonics basics for several years while I build their language competence. Ideally, I want them to be able to understand what they read for the most part when the time comes.

Now, that's not all good. I turn out some pretty fluent speakers but they aren't very accurate. (I figue it's OK because they'll have accuracy driven into them for the next 6 years.)
Unread Mar 6th, 2008, 04:29 am
eslHQ Member

Siddhartha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ESL English basics

I think ideally all 4 would be given adequate attention, but time constraints and priorities have to figure into any decision on curriculum.

One way to look at it is such an early and narrow focus might give students a better chance at developing the self-confidence and oral/aural communicative competence their predecessors have long been lacking.