View Single Post
Unread Apr 15th, 2008, 05:49 am
eslHQ Member

bound4thenations is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is non-biased ESL possible?

I'm an American working in a Hungarian school, where they use mostly British English course books. Fortunately, my school recognizes the fact that English is spoken in so many ways around the world. So, I teach from a lot of materials from the web, and just make up my own lessons. The students like to know when something is UK or US English. When they ask me what something is, I try to give them both (if I know the UK word). They're now to the point where I say "It's called a sweater OR a jumper...what's the difference?" "UK/US!" "That's right, which is which?" You get the idea. They've gotten really used to it.

I have one fun activity I like to do if I have a substitution, or just need a filler lesson. Get a list of UK/US "translations" (some course books have them) and choose one of the "languages." Tell the students to write a story using a given number of words from either UK or US English. They can work in pairs. Then they trade with another pair and they have to "translate" the story into the other language. It's really good practice, and it allows the students to be creative! I've learned a lot too!

I think it only benefits my students if I educate myself as to the different uses of English. We're asking them to learn a WHOLE new language...we (native speakers) can learn a little too!

Good discussion!