View Single Post
Unread Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:59 pm
eslHQ Member

Mikepass is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Things that bother you about work...

Ah, the words were but stolen from my mouth. It has always been my, and the other teachers in my area, main complaint. The problem is Korean's do not know how to say no. If someone, especially of higher status, asks them to do something now, they do it with no questions asked. There is no need to provide notice as the expectation is that task will be completed anyway.

Me, I just say that I will do it when I get to it as I have other tasks of higher priority. My stock line is "If you want me to have something done by today or tomorrow, tell me about it last week." This was usually met with complete disbelief. Now it is just accepted. That said, if I can do the task quickly I will.

My co-teacher did laugh at your comment though, as she completely agrees. Today, we've had a problem where the wrong test papers were printed because:
A. Everything was done at last minute because of security concerns (Elementary school); bring in the CIA.
B. No one actually second checked the paper before printing it.

So my main gripes are: everything is done at last minute, nothing is second checked, and everyone just says yes, no matter how silly the request.