View Single Post
Unread Feb 24th, 2010, 12:33 am
eslHQ Zealot

chokosaki is on a distinguished road
Default Conversation Class lower level

Hello! My name is Richard and like most of you, I'm an English teacher! I live in China and have been teaching English for 6 months to children ranging from 3-12 years old. Previously, I have had no teaching experience. Luckily, my school is outfitted with some pretty nice stuff! The school has smart boards (interactive class room boards) and some great material for teaching english.
Well, I should say, the material was great until a bit recently. The school's material is mainly used for teaching vocabulary...but doesn't really get into using the vocabulary in sentences. It sounds weird I know, but the school acknowledged this once some parents started to complain. So, I have been given the task of beginning a conversation class for students.

I have 3 different groups of students. The first group of students range from about 3-6. The second group ranges from 6-10. The third group of students are in the 10-12 range. I have been given no material to create the classes for these students. I began my 3 classes in the same way: self introduction, how are you (happy, sad, cold, hot, etc), time based greetings (good morning, good afternoon, etc), food (i like/don't like to eat...), and daily meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner).

My school told me at first that I would be getting some material to help with this class but nothing has come my way so far. So, now I come to ask for some help. I need conversation class ideas. Anything to point me in the correct direction. I use games to help and have had a lot of fun so far. Normal classes have been put on hold lately because of the Chinese New Year. Our school ran some special class promotions so we have had a special set of classes lately. However, these special classes end this week and normal classes will resume at the beginning of next week. Yikes!

Thanks in advance!