View Single Post
Unread Feb 28th, 2010, 01:12 am
eslHQ Member

Pillsbury is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conversation Class lower level

Hi,
I have suggestions based on re-assessing material you already have to help give you more immediately tools at hand while you acquire more. If I haven`t offered anything new to you, sorry.
I`m assuming that your students have learned a broad range of vocab such as prepositions and adjectives.
If you have flash cards and pictures with your material, take a good look at them and see how much more they can be described. For example you may have simply started off showing an animal, 'elephant.' Call it, 'Big/large elephant.'
Where you may have used a picture to teach a word, use the same picture to teach the word in simple context. (It is large, it is blue, it is fast.)
E.g. "Elephant, An Elephant, Elephants are big/large." Then follow through with mouse (small), then cheetah(fast), giraffe(tall) etc, to keep things on topic AND in perspective.
You may have already done something like this, however the same goes for any simple games you may have played. There may be a game like a snap game where the students match two of the same card and then only uses one word to get a point or the cards. (If they pair off two apples, they say 'apple' get the cards and point.) Use the same game but up the challenge. If they pair off two apples, they must now describe the apples to get the cards and points.
This is simplistic, but with verbs, prepositions, and adjectives you will have more room for extra vocab from cards or pictures because with, eg. verbs, something or someone is doing something. (It goes from 'run', to 'He/she/it is running.' 'The boy/man/girl etc is running. You can move to past and future in the same class if you want to do a class on tense.)
One of the added advantages of this appraoch is that your students are already familiar with material itself. You do not have stop playing popular games which work well, and discard them for something else more complicated, (new in terms of rules that have to be explained), which may seem more appropriate to you at first glance.
Your students will grasp the fact that you are simply increasing the level of challenge with an already existing game, and you will have time to introduce new ideas gradually, rather than suffer having them bomb straight away because you didn`t have enough time to introduce them slowly.
I hope I was some help. Good luck.