View Single Post
Unread Feb 7th, 2007, 12:39 am
eslHQ Member

codman1982 is on a distinguished road
Default New game?? tell me what you think.

hi guys
I am looking into becoming a teacher of english in Shanghai just for about 1 year(not there yet. ) but I have no experience as a teacher either.
Anyway, today I thought of a game which could possibly be used for children to improve their pronounciation of letters/words. I guess it could be changed for learning other things too. Tell me what you think. I'm not sure if there is already a game like this either

You choose two children (or it can also be in teams) and each child/team starts with 20 points. Write a letter on the board and let the child try to pronounce it within 5 seconds. Write a different letter on the board for the opponent and see if they can pronounce it within 5 seconds. If the child pronounces it right within the time, 1 point is subtracted from the opponents points. If the child pronounces it right, next write a word with two letters and see if they can pronounce it within 5 seconds. If they pronounce the WORD right, then TWO points are subtracted from the opponents points. Continue on to a three letter word, and if its right, subtract THREE points, then four letters etc... If they pronounce it wrong, they go back to one letter and start again, then onto two three etc... when the childs points reach zero they are beaten and it is the next childs turn.

Can anyone see any problems with this type of game? Personally, I think children would like a game like this, they would learn the words so they could win.