View Single Post
Unread Dec 4th, 2012, 06:12 am
eslHQ Member

Skunq is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Don't know how to make my lessons fun and interesting

Quote:
Quote ICAL_Pete View Post
Can I suggest that you get some training? It really would be a good idea! I spent my first year without training and floundered badly; I went back and did a TEFL course and suddenly realised where I'd been going wrong.

We can suggest a few ideas on how to make your class teaching better but to be honest if you did a TEFL course it would all fall into place and you'd not only get ideas to make one or two classes better but you'd also find it makes your whole teaching life and style better.
I'm simply not in a position right now where I can set off time for a course like that. There must be other ways to do it. I've just been in contact with my agent to ask if he had some good and experienced teachers whose lessons I could go and watch. It seems there is a possibility. That's at least a place to start.
When I first took off to China knowing I would go there to teach I thought it would be a piece of cake, but I soon realized that it's harder than you think, especially when you're not provided with lesson plans and other material to make a foundation for your lessons. At the moment I don't find any joy in teaching as I'm not satisfied with my own performance and the results of my teaching, but it's hard for me to see what I'm doing wrong. However, I refuse to give up.

ICAL_Pete, may I ask on which major points you realized you had been going wrong? "Newbie mistakes" or whatever you might call it.