View Single Post
Unread Dec 4th, 2012, 08:33 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

ICAL_Pete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Don't know how to make my lessons fun and interesting

Quote:
Quote Skunq View Post
I've just been in contact with my agent to ask if he had some good and experienced teachers whose lessons I could go and watch. It seems there is a possibility. That's at least a place to start.
Fair enough. But only if these teachers are good!

Quote:
Quote Skunq View Post
However, I refuse to give up.
Good for you!

ICAL_Pete, may I ask on which major points you realized you had been going wrong? "Newbie mistakes" or whatever you might call it.[/quote]

It's almost impossible to say without seeing you in action (can you record a lesson and post it online?). But here are a few common newbie mistakes.

When you think about the sentences you have to give, the first thing is to make them relevant. Put them in context in other words. It's hard to know exactly without knowing what you're supposed to teach them (which, of course, may be pretty poor quality stuff; we sometimes have to teach using poor materials). Try though to make everything relevant to the kids. Keep it really simple; lots of repetition of course and keep each activity to about 5 minutes or so - young learners have much shorter attention spans.

Remember as well to get the students to do the work. How much time are you spending talking when the students could be talking instead? Teacher Talking Time: Teacher Talking Time

Are you giving them long explanations and instructions? Do they understand when you talk to them? If not, why not? Giving Instructions in class: Giving Instructions

Here is a place to start.

Teaching English to Young Learners: TEYL

Quote:
Quote Skunq View Post
I'm simply not in a position right now where I can set off time for a course like that. There must be other ways to do it.
You could always try online courses like the ones we run!