Thread: fair game
View Single Post
Unread Dec 9th, 2018, 04:11 pm
eslHQ Zealot

fface is on a distinguished road
Default Re: fair game

Hi susan,

After reading your reply, I'm afraid I'm still confused about 'fair game' in that context. I'm sorry I didn't give you the source in the first place and sorry about the typo (ill-gotten games). Here is more context quoted from the internet as follows:

"FBI:FBI. Open the door.Carlos Solis, I have a warrant for your arrest.

Judge Sullivan: "So, what's your issue with bail in this case, Ms. McCready?
Ms. McCready: "We want bail denied, your honor. The defendant's company imported goods manufactured by slave labor, and his business partner, Mr. Tenaka, has already fled the country. And Mr. Solis, himself, has refused to surrender his passport."

Judge Sullivan: "Dog ate your client's passport, Mr. Hartley?"
Mr. Hartley: "It's been temporarily misplaced, your honor, but we maintain that Akisha Tenaka set up and executed the entire operation. Mr. Solis is no business partner, but merely a hired contractor. And I'd also like to point out that my client is the sole provider of his wife, and his mother, who is hospitalized in a coma as we speak."

Judge Sullivan: "Bring me the passport, and Mr. Solis can visit his mother. Until then, your client is denied bail and remanded. What's next?"。

Gabrielle: "Yao Lin, listen to me. It's very important that we find Carlos' passport. I've already looked through his office, so I need you to search the bedroom."
Gabrielle: "What?"
Yao Lin: "With Mr. Solis in jail, how are you going to pay me? I have children."
Gabrielle: "Yao Lin, your kids are in their twenties. If it'll make you shut up..."
Gabrielle: "Here. Three weeks in advance."

Yao Lin: "If you don't mind, can I call your bank?"
Gabrielle: "Yao Lin, don't be stupid. People don't become poor overnight."
Gabrielle: "Huh? That's my car! Oh my god!"
Gabrielle: "Hey! Hey! What are you doing? Where are you taking my car?"
Tow guy: "The government is impounding it. Here's your receipt. Call that number if you have any questions."

Gabrielle: "How am I supposed to live without a car?"
Lawyer: "Gabrielle, listen. Tanaka is still at large, and they're going to want Carlos to flip on him, so this is their way of playing hardball. Now, I'm guessing that they've not done yet."

Gabrielle: "Why? What else could they take from us?"
Lawyer: "Pretty much anything. It's all fair game if they even think they can trace it to ill-gotten gains

Gabrielle: "No, no, no. No! Some of this stuff is mine. When I modeled. Before I even met Carlos! See this, kosta boda, bought it when I landed my first cover. This, I spent eight hours on a rock in a bikini for that painting!"

Lawyer: "I understand how you feel."
Gabrielle: "No, you don't understand. I have dug myself up from dirt to afford these things, and no one is going to take them away from me!"
Lawyer: "Then I suggest you find yourself a good hiding place. They can't take what they can't find. Oh, and if you could scare up that passport too, that would be good!"

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.