eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Oct 17th, 2006, 07:15 am
eslHQ Member

SleepyLP is on a distinguished road
Default Drilling in large classes

Hello everyone,

Tomorrow I'm going to be teaching second year junior high kids
A: What do you want to be (for Halloween)?
B: I want to be ..."
And since it's going to be Halloween this month, I'm using costumes i.e., I want to be a witch.

BUT, I know the kids don't know all of the vocabulary for the costumes. Do you have any FUN ways to drill large classes for vocabulary? I'm thinking about trying Eric's "slap" game where the students play rock papaer scissors, but I'm worried the class will get out of control, or they won't practice enough.
Unread Oct 17th, 2006, 01:37 pm
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Drilling in large classes

1) Show pictures and get them to repeat the words chorally and individually to check their pronunciation. Write the words on the board.
2) Next flash the pictures quickly while they shout out the name to check that they remember which is which. (which is witch ?)
3) Then instead of just repeating the word, have them say I'm a (witch/pumpkin/bat/ghost) etc. But they have to say it in a voice suitable for that character- eg in a witchy voice when they say I'm a witch, in "short dumpy" voice when they say I'm a pumpkin. And get them to add gestures at the same time.
4)Then when they are used to that, get them individually to say a "neutral" sentence - eg It's Hallowe'en tonight - but in one of the voices (their choice). The rest of the class have to listen and shout out what character they think the person is.
Unread Oct 17th, 2006, 08:28 pm
eslHQ Member

SleepyLP is on a distinguished road

I need to edit my first post, but I don't know how. I called Eric's game SLAP, when I should have said SLAM.

Susan53, thanks for the reply! I really think your idea would be a lot of fun, I would love to hear some of the kid's voices for muscleman!! But I really don't think junior high kids would be up to using voices.

I just taught this lesson a half hour ago and it went well. The students knew more costumes than I thought so, I just played Karuta (slap) with the costume cards after going over all them quickly. That was enough to get them going.

But my original question of how to introduce/drill a chunk of vocabulary is still up for discussion.
Unread Oct 17th, 2006, 08:39 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote SleepyLP
I need to edit my first post, but I don't know how. I called Eric's game SLAP, when I should have said SLAM.
Hi SleepyLP,

To edit your post, just click the "Edit" button that appears in the lower right hand corner of any of your posts.

Also, here is the link to the Slam Game.
Unread Oct 19th, 2006, 07:52 am
eslHQ Zealot

Pix is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Here is a great game for drilling large classes - this one is for speaking practise once the words have been introduced and their meanings learned.

You can see the game fully explained with language ideas for using it on:

Classroom vocabulary game

Relay Race - although you can call it whatever you like - is dead easy to explain and use and you only need picture flashcards to play.

Kind regards
Shelley

Last edited by Pix : Jul 4th, 2022 at 10:56 am. Reason: update link