eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jul 20th, 2006, 10:49 am
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road
Default Sea Critters

Lesson 1: Shark and Fish
Vocab Taught: shark, fish, dolphin, whale, crab
Phonics taught: c-r-a-b
Preparation: Flashcards
Time: About an hour, depending on class size.

Warmer – “Teacher Says” – 5-7 minutes.

Introduce and drill new vocabulary – 10 minutes.

Follow–up with Hopscotch. Cross the ocean – lay the animal flashcards on the ground and tell the S’s that they must use them as stepping-stones to safely cross the ocean, or else a shark will eat them. When the S’s jump on each flashcard, they must say the name of the animal. – 5-7 minutes.

Phonics – c-r-a-b
Drill the phonic values. – 5 minutes
Play whisper erase – 10 minutes.

This game requires quite a bit of space to play.
Select some student’s to be sharks. The rest are dolphins. The dolphins must save the other sea animals (fish, crab, whale – yes I know, but it’s all good fun!) from the sharks. The sea creatures are saved when the dolphin returns them to the safe spot. The other sea animals are just flashcards or stuffed toys. The sharks must also be at least one metre from the other animals, or they get “poisoned” and they have to sit down for 10 seconds. The dolphins have a safe spot, where the sharks can’t touch (eat) them. A shark can eat a dolphin by touching them. If a dolphin is eaten, they are out.
The sharks win by eating all of the dolphins or time runs out (you can set a time limit if you wish).
The dolphins win by rescuing all of the other sea creatures.
This game can last up to 20 minutes.

This is part one of a three part series. Go to SimplyESL.com for parts two and three.
Unread Jul 30th, 2006, 08:18 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sea Critters

Thanks for the fun lesson plan. I might try some of that. I have an 'under the sea' theme set that I can use, but...
Quote:
Quote simplyesl
Follow–up with Hopscotch. Cross the ocean – lay the animal flashcards on the ground and tell the S’s that they must use them as stepping-stones to safely cross the ocean, or else a shark will eat them.
Ahhhhhh! My flashcards!
Unread Jul 30th, 2006, 08:25 am
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road

Hahaha. Your F/C's will be fine.

Btw, that reminds me, I will contact you and Eric soon. I'm going to add a link(s) from my lesson plans to your flashcards, as I have no artistic talent what-so-ever.

I have dozens more lesson plans (I worked at a kindergarten for a 6 months where they let my imagination run wild as to what I was allowed to teach!), I just have to get then onto the computer and into a format that everyone can understand.
Unread Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:21 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

good luck getting those lesson plans up on the site and please link to any page you think might be helpful.
Unread Aug 4th, 2006, 09:44 pm
eslHQ Member

bosco is on a distinguished road

hahaha, cool, free lesson plans.

good work and keep them coming.

In ESL Jobs - Get jobs emailed to you instantly with our Jobs Alert feature!
Unread Nov 6th, 2006, 03:44 pm
eslHQ Addict

musica is on a distinguished road

There is a great song by Charlotte Diamond called Slippery Fish which would go great with this lesson.
It mentions many sea creatures that keep eating the one smaller than themselves. The kids love it and they can do actions too.