eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jul 8th, 2008, 10:09 am
eslHQ Member

l.g. is on a distinguished road
Default Celta course

Hi

What is the efficiency of the Celta course in your opinion?

Did you really feel prepared to teaching when the course was over? Were you not afraid of going out there and teaching a group of people?

Do you have some in-company teaching work too? Does the Celta course prepare you how to work with, e.g. managers and other white-collar workers?

Regards
Unread Jul 18th, 2008, 07:46 am
eslHQ Member

yucatan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Celta course

Hi
I think the CELTA course is great, and prepares you well for any kind of teaching.Personally, I learned to teach first, the hard way, then did the CELTA.Either way, experience is everything, and the course teaching practice every night, with feedback and advice is very valuable.
Unread Jul 18th, 2008, 07:58 am
eslHQ Member

l.g. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote yucatan View Post
Hi
I think the CELTA course is great, and prepares you well for any kind of teaching.Personally, I learned to teach first, the hard way, then did the CELTA.Either way, experience is everything, and the course teaching practice every night, with feedback and advice is very valuable.

Thanks yucatan
Unread Jul 18th, 2008, 11:44 am
eslHQ Addict

Beatrix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote l.g. View Post
Hi

What is the efficiency of the Celta course in your opinion?

Did you really feel prepared to teaching when the course was over?
I was wandering the same thing, since the course lasts only a month.

Does anyone knows what real benefits we have from this diploma?
Where is it recognized?
I see that it is valuable mostly for native speakers who want to teach English in other countries.
Unread Jul 19th, 2008, 04:36 am
eslHQ Member

Hi Beatrix
Yes, only one month but totally intensive, a bit like the last month of an academic year at uni or something.
I spent a lot of time deciding on which qualification to get, and the CELTA and the Trinity are the 2 which all language schools know and recognize, although my American friends tell me it s not so well known in the U.S.
I Some people fail the CELTA, even after the long selection process, but if you pass, you can you can turn up to any job and do OK.
Unread Jul 19th, 2008, 05:42 am
eslHQ Addict

Beatrix is on a distinguished road

thanks
I'm looking forward to doing it anyway
Unread Jul 21st, 2008, 05:42 am
eslHQ Member

rabble is on a distinguished road

Hi
I am new to this forum, found it when I was looking up an activity for the Olympic games lesson plan.
Anyway I too was thinking of doing a Celta, mainly to get the paper. I think Celta is the way to go.
I am procrastinating though. Because I have been teaching in China for 7 years now and I am never short of work and people have told me that the things they learnt doing the Celta just didn't seem to fit the Chinese classroom.
Like the previous poster wrote she taught first and then did the Celta. I wish I had done the Celta first instead of learning the hard way but now I have got to the stage on my own, of knowing what works and what doesn't. I keep developing my lesson plans. It's a work in progress.
I have a huge resource library now. I would like to do the course but I have no time.
Also I would have to go to Shanghai or Beijing for a month.
In the back of my mind though I think that it would be challenging and give me some feedback on my teaching methods.
Maybe next year.
Unread Jul 23rd, 2008, 04:02 pm
eslHQ Member

Hi Rabble
I m sure you re a great teacher after 7 years in the biz, even so you can still get new ideas from doing a course.For me, apart from wanting the qualification, the most valuable thing was teaching practice in front of your colleagues and your trainer, with feedback and advice the next day.Also watching the others teaching, including very experienced teachers.This made me realize that I wasn t too bad, just a bit speedy.
By the way, Yucatan is a he not a she, but no big deal.
Unread Jul 24th, 2008, 10:39 am
eslHQ Member

rabble is on a distinguished road

Yucatan

To be totally honest, I think I would be a terrible student with Celta. This would probably fit in with Europeans or the like but not with the Chinese. I have taught Brazlians in China, so easy to teach, active,study and so on. The Chinese (god bless them) but you have to goad them into talking, entertain them.
I have observed teachers with their Celta under their arms the ink barely dry, go into a class and bomb. They have observed me in the same class and told me what I should do.
This was their first time to teach. Nice people she was previously a lap top dancer and had braces on the inside of her teeth that gave her a sort of a lisp. He was a darling but they returned to their hometown where they could make better money if she kept laptop dancing.
Cut to the chase. Who got the students to talk more.
My point being, as an oral English teacher my objective is to get the students to speak.
I am not saying this, to say I am a great teacher but just to point out the different situations and would doing the Celta really enhance my teaching.
Several years ago I attended a seminar,an Interchange trainer , I didn't learn anything more than I was actually doing.
I do have my little English teaching "bible"which I refer tto time to time to get me back on track. I overestimate the language abilities of my students