eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:33 pm
eslHQ Member

fog is on a distinguished road
Default one to one conversation class

Hi everyone,
I am to begin a "one to one" conversation class with my boss (!)tomorrow.
She wants to practise speaking english for when she travels. Any ideas to help the hour long class appear like 5 minutes of really useful great fun?!

Any helpful suggestions much appreciated. (Heeeelp)
Unread Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:27 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: one to one conversation class

Here's a podcast on teaching one-on-one classes.
ESL Teacher Talk » Blog Archive » One-on-one classes

There are also a couple links to other activities as well.
Unread Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:14 am
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road

What level is your boss? High(er) levels can participate more in free conversation. Low(er) levels need the structure of a regular lesson.

At any rate, I would choose a few phrases that can be used in several situations. Introduce these, practice these with drills, and then do a few role plays. Where you would have the students pair up with one another, you can serve as your boss's partner.

I hope this helps!
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.
Unread Feb 20th, 2009, 10:31 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

ICAL_Pete is on a distinguished road

Often students will say they just want conversation. This is fine but you will still need to plan for it. Talking is good but for conversation to be effective you need to structure it.

Prepare your topic and make sure the content and language level is right for your student. Don't improvise! You may get away with it once or twice but after that your lessons will slowly come apart.

Collect all the necessary materials. If you are not using a book and rely on handouts make sure you have copies for both yourself and the student.

To do all this successfully carry out a needs analysis first!
Unread Mar 14th, 2009, 04:02 pm
eslHQ Zealot

English-coach is on a distinguished road

I used to teach full time (40 hours a week) at a pharmaceutical company and my entire day was 45 minute one to one classes. Let me tell you...it was quite the work week but I have to say that one to one classes are my favorite!

Here is what I used to do.

1) Start with high energy. You can do a fast paced drill (short answer question, question tags etc. I find that a drill at the beginning gets people in the mindset to work and learn. Plus it is fun.

2) I usually have one topic or grammar point that we focus on but I am flexible to go with the flow of the class. If questions come up we can get side tracked but I always try to tackle one point of grammar a class.

3) I think one great way to make a class fly is by using role plays. Depending on where you work and your student’s job you can create situations that they will encounter and give them tools to function better. You mentioned that they want to improve for travelling...so this is super easy. Pretend that you are a travel agent...you can walk your boss through different situations.

Booking a flight
Changing a flight
Cancelling a flight
Getting information for a trip
Price comparing (budgets)
Booking hotels
Getting a taxi and giving directions
Making complaints at the hotel
Eating out (menus, asking for things to be changed in a meal...for example no onions...)
Interacting with sales people in a store

The list goes on and on. Just put yourself in her shoes and ask yourself what she is going to encounter abroad.

You could even create a review sheet for each role play.

Common expressions useful for that situation
Common questions
Vocabulary etc.

3) Always end your class by quickly saying what you have learnt...point out all the great info you have covered and then play a game or do a high energy activity. If you leave on a high note AND explain what you have learnt your student will feel like they have learnt a great deal and also be full of energy after your fun activity.

I hope that helps.
Diana
Unread Mar 14th, 2009, 10:37 pm
eslHQ Member

hawaiibadboy is on a distinguished road

iteslj.org (?) questions section = Goldmine full of mild to shocking ice breakers

of course theier answers/opinions could spark a debate/conversation that could go the whole class.

If there having fun and doing it in English.......Everybody's a winner

Last edited by Eric : Mar 15th, 2009 at 12:55 am. Reason: Removed self promotion link from post. Please put personal links in your signature.