eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Feb 21st, 2005, 11:13 pm
eslHQ Member

me-cook-salami is on a distinguished road
Default Where do you sleep?

I was thinking about going over to Seoul or Busan some time soon, and I was wondering....where do you stay?

Does anyone have any good recomendations for hostels or hotels that are a good value or a really good time?

Where do you stay when you travel in Korea? (not just Seoul or Busan)

cheers!

www.hagwonchecklist.com
Unread Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:40 am
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

i found some nice, fairly cheap yeogwans behind Lotte Department store in Busan. seoul, i don't know. i've only stayed there a few times and never found any thing great or cheap.

whenever i travel in korea i usually stay in the yeogwans/love hotels or minbaks.

the love hotels (especially the new ones and you can tell from the outside) are relatively cheap (25-35,000) but are super nice inside. we stayed in one that had a tv, vcr, computer with internet, fridge, a sofa and table. plus it was super clean. internet was free. it was about 35,000 won.

on the cheaper side, try a minbak. at least if you are out of the big cities or are around some bigger mountains. minbaks are basically a room somewhat connected to someone's house. usually cost between 15-30,000 won per night. sometimes the house owner servers food, usually for a price. they are great way to experience the country in korea and get a feel for how people outside of the city live. i have stayed in a some really nice ones. one was in a small village outside of Jirisan National Park down south. very big, clean and the old grandmother was super nice! another one i stayed in was IN Songnisan National Park about a 30 minute hike up the main trail. if you don't have a tent or sleeping bags, this is the next best way to go camping!

hope this helps!

eric
Unread Feb 22nd, 2005, 02:54 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

asiaexpat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote Oreamnos
i found some nice, fairly cheap yeogwans behind Lotte Department store in Busan. seoul, i don't know. i've only stayed there a few times and never found any thing great or cheap.

whenever i travel in korea i usually stay in the yeogwans/love hotels or minbaks.

the love hotels (especially the new ones and you can tell from the outside) are relatively cheap (25-35,000) but are super nice inside. we stayed in one that had a tv, vcr, computer with internet, fridge, a sofa and table. plus it was super clean. internet was free. it was about 35,000 won.

on the cheaper side, try a minbak. at least if you are out of the big cities or are around some bigger mountains. minbaks are basically a room somewhat connected to someone's house. usually cost between 15-30,000 won per night. sometimes the house owner servers food, usually for a price. they are great way to experience the country in korea and get a feel for how people outside of the city live. i have stayed in a some really nice ones. one was in a small village outside of Jirisan National Park down south. very big, clean and the old grandmother was super nice! another one i stayed in was IN Songnisan National Park about a 30 minute hike up the main trail. if you don't have a tent or sleeping bags, this is the next best way to go camping!

hope this helps!

eric

Whats a yeogwan? Like a wigwam? or?
Unread Mar 1st, 2005, 01:56 am
eslHQ Member

me-cook-salami is on a distinguished road
Default W 14,000 in Itewon Seoul

I found a cozy LITTLE place in Itewon for 14000 won. It was small, the room was not much bigger than the bed, but the bed was all I needed anyway. Most other motels and Yagwons in the area were charging 30-45000.

Directions: As you walk out the doors of Burger King.
1. Turn Right and walk along the main road for one block.
2. Turn right at the next street signal.
3. You will pass a public school on your left.
4. Turn left on the road immediately past the school.
5. Walk about on block up and the Yokwon is on the left. It has one of the little hot beverage logo.

www.hagwonchecklist.com
Unread Apr 25th, 2005, 08:51 am
Administrator

little sage is on a distinguished road

I'm a little late on reading this post.

I thought the question "where do you sleep?" referred to where in the house do you sleep, that is on a bed or what. I have forsaken the Western style bed and now choose Ibul (padded blankets) on the floor which is so awesome in the Korean winter when the floor heats up. I wonder what sleeping arrangements are like traditionally in other countries in Asia.

I suppose I'll have to start another thread for this...
Unread Apr 25th, 2005, 08:52 am
Administrator

little sage is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Where Do I Sleep?

I'm a little late on reading this post.

I thought the question "where do you sleep?" referred to where in the house do you sleep, that is on a bed or what. I have forsaken the Western style bed and now choose Ibul (padded blankets) on the floor which is so awesome in the Korean winter when the floor heats up. I wonder what sleeping arrangements are like traditionally in other countries in Asia.

I suppose I'll have to start another thread for this...