eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread May 27th, 2005, 02:07 pm
eslHQ Member

Guy Mandude is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from California

Planning my move to Bangkok in two months. I've taught English at the absolute worst schools in the United States for 10 years and am looking toward a fresh start in Thailand. What's the one item in my luggage I should not forget to pack?
Unread May 27th, 2005, 07:12 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site Guy Mandude.

The one item to pack...hmmm...if you're a music fan, I wouldn't leave without packing your favorite CDs. Or better yet, a DVD disc that you can burn about 100 CDs on to.

You can get fairly cheap tailored clothes in Bangkok so I wouldn't pack too many clothes.

Not sure what the Mexican food scene is like in Bangkok but whenever I got home I always come back with no less than 4 cans of refried beans. I can find tortillas and everything else for quesadillas and burritos in Korea but I have never found refried beans.

BTW, where were you teaching in California? What city/school?

eric
Unread May 27th, 2005, 08:04 pm
Administrator

little sage is on a distinguished road
Default Bon Voyage

Hey there Guy Mandude! Welcome.

I'm having trouble thinking of the one thing you have to pack. Photos to stick on your fridge? As far as I know Bangkok has anything you would really need: Internet Cafes, English bookshops, clothes, food, music... Anything you miss you can send for. There is probably some piece sports equipment that I'm not thinking of (lacrosse stick? water-skis?) that would be hard to find or send, but I'll stick with the first answer: photos.

Wouldn't it be nice to just bring a backpack with a handful of stuff inside? That would be completely starting fresh. When I first arrived in Korea I had a hockey bag stuffed to capacity, a duffle and a carry-on. The guy who picked me up asked if I was trying to sink the peninsula.

Great question, by the way.

Karen
Unread May 27th, 2005, 08:20 pm
eslHQ Member

Quote:
Quote Eric

The one item to pack...hmmm...if you're a music fan, I wouldn't leave without packing your favorite CDs.
BTW, where were you teaching in California? What city/school?

eric
Hey Eric, thanks for the suggestions. I'm into duck sauce more than refried beans, but I won't have room in my luggage for either. I taught in San Diego (somewhat awful school) and in the Bay Area (THE worst school). I started teaching in Brooklyn where I'm from at the most dangerous high school in the United States, or it was at the time.

little sage, I'm busy scanning my favorite photos, so you must have read my mind.
Unread May 27th, 2005, 08:48 pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote Guy Mandude
I'm into duck sauce more than refried beans, but I won't have room in my luggage for either.
I guess I haven't been home in awhile, what is duck sauce?

Eric
Unread May 27th, 2005, 09:51 pm
eslHQ Member

Default duck sauce

Eric,
Duck sauce is a Chinese condiment that is served in NYC restaurants. It isn't common in California. It's sort of a spicy apricot/peach preserve that is used as a glaze on ribs and chicken.

Most people will think of squeezing a duck until some kinda "sauce" comes out, but that's something else.

If you haven't been home in a while, this is Memorial Day weekend here in the States. In my small town, there will be a parade of veterans...
Unread May 28th, 2005, 10:13 pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote Guy Mandude
If you haven't been home in a while, this is Memorial Day weekend here in the States. In my small town, there will be a parade of veterans...
Thanks for the reminder. These days the only holidays I seem to keep track of are Christmas & Halloween.
Unread Jun 10th, 2005, 04:48 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

asiaexpat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote Guy Mandude
Planning my move to Bangkok in two months. I've taught English at the absolute worst schools in the United States for 10 years and am looking toward a fresh start in Thailand. What's the one item in my luggage I should not forget to pack?
hello Mr Mandude

I live ion thailand and can suggest a couple things you might need.
If you are physically larger than most then bring extra underwear and socks--
especially sports socks-assuming you play sports - it can be hard to find stuff that fits.
Duck Sauce--theres plenty here

trying to think what else you may need-been so long since I visited the US.
theres an old saying here-"you wanna make a fortune in Thailand?--then start with a larger fortune" or something like that

good luck