eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 14th, 2008, 10:43 pm
Deon

deon is on a distinguished road
Talking Hello from Lampang, Thailand!

Hi.
I am teaching Prathom 5 and 6 [primary school ages 9 -12ish] in Lampang, Thailand. I took the TESOL course in Phuket then media kids placed me [and a couple of my classmates] here. I feel very lucky to be placed in a good sized town. Some ppl I met through the TESOL course were placed in very small towns - not even a 7/11!
Lampang is a great place - not too big and overwhelming [think Bangkok] but we have a Tesco and Big C.
My first two weeks of teaching... I would say fall around the 5th level/circle of hell but now that I have [somewhat] adapted, I feel much better about everything. Our TESOL class did not prepare us for 50 Thai kids per class - 20 different classes per week!
This forum has been great for seeking out advice and the worksheets are a life saver.
I am from the US - I do enjoy teaching the kids and find myself rolling my eyes a lot [not when they are actually trying but when they get so hyper (as any group of 50 kids would do I guess ACK)]
Nice to meet you.
Nice to meet you too.
cheers
Dee
Unread Nov 15th, 2008, 02:32 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hello from Lampang, Thailand!

How are you?
How are you?

Welcome to the forums!
Unread Nov 23rd, 2008, 09:42 am
Deon

Unhappy at least i am trying... i guess

i am doing okay. i am lucky i have a couple of friends i made in the TESOL course i took assigned to lampang [2 are at the primary school with me and the others are at one of the high schools].
i guess i have good days and i have days where i feel hopelessly inadequate as a teacher *sighs*
50 kids is a lot to manage.
this weeks lesson plan that i am supposed to follow seems to reinforce stereotypes [i really do not think 'sombrero' is a pivotal word that 11 year old thai kids NEED to know - as i am fairly certain all mexicans do not wear one ]
so i am going to try music [which i am almost as guilty: australia, sorry, but you get men at work's 'land down under', the usa gets bruces 'born in the usa' but hey, england gets the beatles!
Unread Feb 16th, 2009, 09:55 pm
eslHQ Member

GWingate78 is on a distinguished road

Wow! 50 kids! I am now very nervous! I got my TESOL certification in LA a few months ago and have been placed in a primary school in Lampang by Media Kids for this upcoming April. I have never taught before and am very excited for this opportunity, but 50 kids to one class!? Do you have easy access to internet for lesson planning and what not?

Georgeanna
Unread Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:19 am
eslHQ Member

Philo1978 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am posting on this forum to ask a favour from an English speaker in Lampang as follows.

A friend of mine died and the mother of his child is a Thai national based in Lampang and is living there with the child. I am unable to contact the mother or the child to tell them that the father has passed away.

I would like to arrange for a poster to be put up in 7-11, or somewhere, in Lampang to ask the mother to contact me so I can tell her this news, for her sake and the child.

Sorry to interrupt the forum with this message, but a helping hand from someone that is there would be great.

Thanks,

Phil
Unread Jul 5th, 2009, 02:22 am
Deon

sorry, but i left thailand in february and am now teaching in seoul. sorry i cannot help you.