eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Apr 2nd, 2009, 03:20 am
eslHQ Zealot

English-coach is on a distinguished road
Question Best way to teach Natural Conversations and Phrasal Verbs

Hi everyone,

I have a couple students who would like to focus primarily on conversation and phrasal verbs. I don't like to only do conversations in one class but I think it would be a good idea to fill part of the class with conversation. The classes are an hour long.

How to you promote interesting and useful conversations in class?

Also, do you have any tricks to incorporate phrasal verbs into those conversations as well?

Thanks everyone!
Diana
Unread Apr 14th, 2009, 03:59 am
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best way to teach Natural Conversations and Phrasal Verbs

Hi Diana,

Not sure about the phrasal verbs in every lesson. It seems a bit too forced, like a round peg in a square hole. As for conversations, I usually:

1. Start with themed warm-up questions. This gets the students to indirectly consider the topic.

2. Present the target language (specific vocab to be used, grammar, etc.). I make sure to cover both the structure and the meaning.

3. Drill the target language to improve automaticity. I want to keep the students interested, but I also want them to produce the language. Here I'm focusing more on their productive rather than their receptive level.

4. Present a dialogue to see the target language in context. If pressed for time, this is optional.

5. Free(r) activity that allows students to speak, tying the new material with target language previously studied.

I hope this helps.
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.
Unread Apr 15th, 2009, 10:30 am
eslHQ Zealot

English-coach is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best way to teach Natural Conversations and Phrasal Verbs

Thanks for the advice Chris. Phrasal verbs always seem a bit forced in lessons. It just seems like you can't teach them well outside the context of a conversation. I tend to teach them as they come up (hee hee) in conversation, but this is not structured enough for students to see a difference.

Thanks for the conversation advice.

Diana