eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:27 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road
Question How did you get into Teaching?

Well I thought it would be nice for those who new to teaching try to understand how others got into this profession. I'll start.

I spent three years in the military and decided it was time for a change after getting married to my Korean wife. So, I went to University for three years and studied International Business as a mature student. It was difficult as we had a child during this period and had to juggle study with parenthood.

After those difficult years and my graduation I relocated to South Korea, and have been here for a year already. This is when I decided to take up teaching by the vast amount of job offers here. I was not offered anything in the UK so it was a dream scenario.

Thanks for listening, now over to you.
Unread Nov 3rd, 2006, 03:26 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How did you get into Teaching?

When I finished university I decided I wanted a year abroad before I applied to train as a theatre administrator - which was what I was thinking of doing. So I appplied for and got a job teaching in Finland. We got two days training before we went out - with the result that in the first three months I taught some of the most memorable lessons of my teaching career.
However, I learnt fast, and by the end of the year had decided that I was thoroughly enjoying myself, and that perhaps theatre admin wasn't so attractive after all. So I went back to London and spent the year working in the daytime and doing a TEFL course in the evenings. And thirty years on, here I am ...
Unread Nov 3rd, 2006, 10:09 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road

I wanted to be a teacher for a long time since I was in university doing computers. Just that I didn't want to be a elementary (primary) or middle school / high school (secondary) teacher and was always interesting in teaching English as a second language.

When I finished college I saved up some money to come to Korea and got a job, with the view of if it didn't work out and teaching wasn't for me then I could always go back home. That never happened. I have been here nearly three years now and currently working on my masters in TEFL and hoping after that to move to Europe to settle down and have a family.
Unread Nov 4th, 2006, 02:30 am
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road

Like livinginkorea I had wanted to teach for a long time but the idea of going into an English secondary school wasn't a very appealing one. A friend did a TEFL course and went off to teach somewhere (I don't remember exactly where) and had a good time.
I wanted to get away for a while for personal reasons so left my 9-5 and took an intensive TEFL course. Seven years later I'm still 'away' and couldn't imagine ever doing another job - I love it!

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Nov 4th, 2006, 12:46 pm
eslHQ Member

Valll9 is on a distinguished road

I've wanted to be a teacher since I was very young. Now, I am studying to be one, and at the same time, a school asked me to do ESL extra-curricular activites with elementary students. I want to be an ESL teacher for young children at first, and maybe older students when i'm older!! I have not started (officially) yet, and i already love it!!!
Unread Nov 4th, 2006, 08:48 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road

Valll9, I remember being a social organiser for foreign students in the UK. Probably the same as you. It was a great introduction to be a teacher and taught my first class at the school, which incidentally, was a group of young Korean kids visiting the UK.
Unread Nov 5th, 2006, 07:52 am
eslHQ Member

Valll9 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, everyone tells me it'll be a good experience, many (students in education) would of loved to be doing what I'm doing now. I'm happy to have had this opportunity!
Unread Nov 5th, 2006, 08:04 pm
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road

When I was studying Engineering, I was offered the chance to teach in Romania over the summer holidays. I enjoyed it immensly, unlike engineering, so I took my Tefl cert after I graduated and moved to Turkey.
Unread Nov 6th, 2006, 03:31 pm
eslHQ Addict

musica is on a distinguished road

All I ever wanted to do was be teacher, with young children, so that is what I did. I had moved to England from Canada at 17 and at 18 off I went to Teacher Training College, as they were called in those days, and got qualified. I had a great deal of fun at the same time.
On moving back to Canada I did my B.C. degree and got certified there.