eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Feb 21st, 2008, 04:45 am
eslHQ Member

marie123 is on a distinguished road
Question how to introduce easter to young Chinese kids ?

I'm teaching English to very young Chinese kids (4-6 years old)in Shanghai. Any ideas about how to introduce easter to them ? recommended story ? sites ?
Unread Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:17 am
eslHQ Member

Siddhartha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: how to introduce easter to young Chinese kids ?

First, I'd focus on the whole commercialized aspect of it rather than the religious one. Can't go wrong with the Easter Bunny, whereas bringing resurrection into it might be asking for trouble.

And for kids that age, you might want to do some sort of a project like dyeing eggs, and then choose appropriate language to focus on from that.
Unread Mar 17th, 2008, 06:41 pm
eslHQ Member

fiffla is on a distinguished road

I have been teaching english in beijing for 2 yrs I have also been on 5 summer camps to China 1 in Shanghai you can teach the religious easter as well as the secular. But teach it as fact like the Bible is a history book Easter is a part of culture so teach the secular also. Anyway I used pictures and easter objects if you have them baskets, bunnies "plush" Plastic eggs. Kids of all ages in china like to draw and color. So have them do easter Cards. If you want to tell the story. See if you can have an interpretor. That makes it a lot easier. Also younger kids like to act. Hope this helps
Unread Mar 18th, 2008, 12:25 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

There are some Easter games, coloring and flashcards here. www.mes-english.com/flashcards/easter.php

I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching the religious aspect of Easter either. It's not like you'd be making it up. Easter is the celebration of the resurrection of Christ.

Teach Easter how you see fit unless you've been instructed by the management otherwise.
Unread Mar 22nd, 2008, 01:05 pm
eslHQ Member

Siddhartha is on a distinguished road

Whether or not you should go into religious beliefs in your language teaching is a complex question and a delicate matter.

Perhaps the two greatest concerns one should have in making the decision to include or exclude it might be:

1. The circumstances
2. Respect

Older students are often more equipped to weigh things presented to them for themselves and see them as interesting, alternative view points and beliefs. Young children (of the age mentioned in the original question) are generally more impressionable.

I respect all religions and individual rights to believe in and follow whatever faith one chooses. If you’re teaching in a culture which is obviously not Christian, I believe respect dictates great care in electing what to put in and what to leave out of your lessons.