eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 5th, 2006, 08:05 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Memorable Students

Have you ever had a student in your class who you know you'll remember for the rest of your life? I've had several - the litttle boy who was the most serious student in a class otherwise of adults, and the guy who got me vetted by MI5 because he turned out to be a Bulgarian spy, are high on the list. But there was one who was even more memorable.

I once taught an 8.30 class in the evening. It was made up of university students, all more or less my own age, except for one person - a retired man in his late eighties who, in his working days, had been the top lawyer in Italy and who was still mentioned in awed tones when people spoke about him. When I was told about the make-up of the class I was terrified - I couldn't imagine how I was going to integrate him, and the idea of asking him to do silly mime games or whatever seemed impossible.

I couldn't have been more wrong. From the first lesson it became apparent not only that he had an amazing intellect, but that despite a very frail body, mentally he was as young as any of us. I adapted activities a bit to make sure that he could stay sitting down whilst the others moved around and went to him, but apart from that changed nothing. He won the respect of the other students very quickly, and by the end of the course also their affection. I'll never forget him choosing the most undefendable position in a debate one day and then wiping the floor with everyone - in the nicest possible way.

I still feel privileged to have known him and often wonder what happened to him - by now he'd be about 115 so sadly he must be long dead. I hope it was peaceful.
Unread Nov 5th, 2006, 08:01 pm
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Memorable Students

Nice stories. I've had some memorable students, too. I've had several Tibetan monks - some of them have a wicked sense of humour. I've had classes of North and South Koreans together. I had a brain surgeon from Libya who was fantastically intelligent. I had a Brazilian student who improved his English dramatically by making friends at the local pub - but he spent all his money for the next semester and had to return to Brazil early.
Unread Nov 8th, 2006, 02:57 pm
eslHQ Addict

musica is on a distinguished road

That too funny.

My favourite student memories usually involve students who were mishievous with an indominatable spirit. I always remember one little boy from my first year of teaching. He went to the washroom while I was teaching a class in a portable classroom. I was being observed by the principal and he just did not come back. I was reading a story to the class and kept thinking, where can he be. All of a sudden I heard this banging coming from under the portable and sure enough he was underneath the classroom investigating and playing, What a character he was. I will never forget him, he must be 40 now, that gives me age away, mind you I was 21 when I started teaching in 1971. lol
Unread Nov 9th, 2006, 04:37 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote susan53
the guy who got me vetted by MI5 because he turned out to be a Bulgarian spy
Gosh that is spooky. You never really know who you are teaching.

But emile, how could you be teaching North and South Koreans together in a class? It really is a strange world.
Unread Nov 9th, 2006, 08:02 pm
Sifu

Quote:
But emile, how could you be teaching North and South Koreans together in a class? It really is a strange world.
Well, the North Koreans were attached to the embassy, or kids of people attached to the embassy, and the South Koreans were walk-ins. This was in Malaysia, not Korea, of course.

The North Koreans had some pretty strange taste in clothes - they dressed as if they stepped out of the 50s, even though they obviously were wealthy enough. Ironically enough it was the South Koreans who were wary of the Northeners and not the other way around. (Basically because they'd never come across North Koreans before, whereas the North Koreans had met Southerners plenty times in their travels)
Unread Nov 10th, 2006, 12:44 am
eslHQ Addict

This sort of exchange is what makes this site such a great community, we learn so much of what is going on in the world away from the "west' and its ways. I love hearing of all the different experiences from those who live within and experience different cultures, world views and outlooks, ......fashion sense and all.
thanks everyone for taking time to share your experiences and also ask and answer questions.
Unread Nov 25th, 2006, 12:54 pm
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote Whistleblower
... how could you be teaching North and South Koreans together in a class? It really is a strange world.
My worst nightmare class was one in the 1970s which contained not only Arabs and Israelis but also Greeks and Turks. We kept off politics, but it wasn't the easiest of atmospheres, especially at the beginning. The situation was saved by the fact that they were all reasonable individuals and just wanted to get on with learning English.
Unread Nov 28th, 2006, 05:51 am
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road

I have plenty of sts who I miss. One kid would always reply with "oh, yes!" He was really cool. I really liked one class because I got along with them really well and they were soooo easy to teach. I don't think you realise how much you're going to miss your students until it's time to say goodbye.
Unread Nov 28th, 2006, 10:27 am
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road

I once had a class of young adults and we got on well and liked to have a laugh together. They were pretty easy going and occasionally some of the 'in' jokes got a little risque.

Then along came the two nuns who joined the group. I kid you not. Both of them called Sister Mary, too. Now, firstly, what the school director was thinking when he decided to put them in this particular group I have no idea. In any case, the others pretty much carried on as normal and I spent many a time trying to suppress a giggle here and there.

The best \ worst was when I pulled out my trusted 'have you ever . .?' worksheet, including such gems as kissed an American \ been drunk \ slept in a park \ stolen anything \ been arrested.

I guess I should have checked it first.

Oh, and by the way, not once did they do their homework - really!

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Nov 28th, 2006, 07:33 pm
Sifu

Quote:
My worst nightmare class was one in the 1970s which contained not only Arabs and Israelis but also Greeks and Turks.
I wonder if anyone has ever seen the old British comedy 'Mind your language'. It made fun of situations just like this. It's considered very un-PC these days, but here in Malaysia people still love it.
Unread Nov 28th, 2006, 08:15 pm
eslHQ Addict

Yes I saw that when I lived in England. The Brits have such a great sense of humour. Now could that be construed as a steriotypical thing to say. lol . my parents are English so I guess I can say that.lol
Unread Nov 29th, 2006, 02:19 am
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road

Ok, it's official. I've turned into my dad. I never thought I'd reach the day when the following words came out of my mouth (or in this case off my keyboard) - 'They don't make programmes like they used to'

Mind your language is a classic. Mr Brown was my hero (ok, so I'm exaggerating) and the French girl whose name escapes me was the cause of many a turbulent evening

It's such a shame my classes are all single nationality!

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Nov 29th, 2006, 05:34 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

cabst90 is on a distinguished road

I was teaching an adult class in the U.S. I had an aweful, young, troublemaking, sexist, racist guy in my class. I don't know what he was doing there, but he was there. He made sexist comments constantly. He thought his English was perfect even though most of the other students couldn't actually understand him. He tried to bully other students. I had the students play a race to the board game. He got up next to a student who was much smaller than him and very timid. Then he proceeded to tackle the student and physically hold him back from the board. I made it clear that this was unacceptable before we continued. He agreed to "behave" himself. Even though he agreed to tone it down so that we could continue playing, the next time that he was up, a woman about twice his size, not shy nor afraid of him, stood up to be his opponent. She stood there, hands on her hips, and he behaved.

I had another student from Mongolia. She had lived in Korea for 4 years and could speak Korean almost perfectly. She had a horrible time with English and was deathly shy. After having her in my class (and one class with only four students), she opened up. One night, she came up to me to tell me that she had had to help a Mongolian friend at the hospital by translating basic things. She thanked me for forcing her to speak in my class because it made her comfortable enough with the language, even though her English is far from perfect, to talk to the hospital staff.
Unread Nov 29th, 2006, 09:58 pm
eslHQ Addict

Your story shows just how important your job is. Because of you and your gentle encouragement. the life of your student was changed. What a gift you gave to her, the confidence to communicate in a stange and challenging environment.
Congratulations.
I hope all you ESL teachers oul there take the time to acknowledge yourselves for the work you do. give yourselves a pat on the back as they used to say.
Unread Nov 30th, 2006, 05:42 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road

I have had my first Kindergarten student leave today. I got back from Seoul to the school to catch the end of the kindergarten class. This girl had been at the school for about a year. She was about five when she started learning and had no idea or concept of English. She was constantly speaking Korean to me and I would look at her thinking, "I wish I knew what you were saying"! Anyhow, she was really a clever girl and she had left knowing her alphabet, numbers, colours, months, days, weeks, year, herself, other people and life. She was able to speak like a kid in the UK would who is four years old. It was so sad to say goodbye to her. This was the first student that brought a tear to my eye when she had had to go. It is so rewarding teaching.
Unread Dec 1st, 2006, 03:32 am
Sifu

some of the comments above reminded me of a Polish student I had in London whose hobby seemed to be Russian bashing. He could speak Russian and one day when we visited an art museum he let loose on a group of Russian tourists with a barrage of insults and swear words. He was having a great time, but totally embarrassed everyone else there.
Unread Dec 1st, 2006, 07:24 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote Whistleblower
I have had my first Kindergarten student leave today. I got back from Seoul to the school to catch the end of the kindergarten class. This girl had been at the school for about a year. She was about five when she started learning and had no idea or concept of English. She was constantly speaking Korean to me and I would look at her thinking, "I wish I knew what you were saying"! Anyhow, she was really a clever girl and she had left knowing her alphabet, numbers, colours, months, days, weeks, year, herself, other people and life. She was able to speak like a kid in the UK would who is four years old. It was so sad to say goodbye to her. This was the first student that brought a tear to my eye when she had had to go. It is so rewarding teaching.
You should have said that your CELTA interview if it happened earlier