eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jun 22nd, 2013, 08:05 pm
eslHQ Member

seriousaboutesl is on a distinguished road
Default native speaker-help

Hallo everyone,

I have a question regarding the issue of native speaker. A lot of jobs in SE Asia require native speakers. I was wondering if I qualify as a native speaker. I was not born in an English-speaking country, but have been living in Canada since 1996 (I was 23 at the time). I hold three degrees from Canadian Universities: Bachelor's, Master's and a Ph.D. I have lectured first year students in introductory science courses (in Canadian Universities) and have written articles for science journals (in English of course). I have a Canadian passport that does state my birth place (not Canada). Am I considered a native speaker or not?

Any input/comment would be greatly appreciated!
Unread Jun 23rd, 2013, 08:12 pm
Teacher and Blogger

abarboza is on a distinguished road
Default Re: native speaker-help

Well, you are not a native Canadian but are more than prepared to teach English. Before applying for a job abroad (I guess that's what you are looking for) find out what kind of qualifications they require besides being a native speaker. For example, a Delta certification or a high TOEFL score, then take as many of those exams or certifications as possible.

In your curriculum you should point out that your higher education has been taken all in Canada and that you are a PHD.
Unread Sep 5th, 2013, 12:22 am
eslHQ Member

wi11iam is on a distinguished road

I agree, you're not a native English speaker, but you are more than qualified to teach. Some countries just require that you have a passport from an English speaking country, some will look at your birthplace.

I don't think you'll have a problem teaching in most countries. There is often a big demand for English teachers so I'm sure you'll be fine. Just take a look at the country where you want to work and do some research, apply for a few jobs and see what happens.
Unread Sep 5th, 2013, 09:47 am
Teacher and Blogger

abarboza is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote wi11iam View Post
I agree, you're not a native English speaker, but you are more than qualified to teach. Some countries just require that you have a passport from an English speaking country, some will look at your birthplace.

I don't think you'll have a problem teaching in most countries. There is often a big demand for English teachers so I'm sure you'll be fine. Just take a look at the country where you want to work and do some research, apply for a few jobs and see what happens.
Exactly this. You should apply for a job before going abroad and see what happens. If you get a good offer then take it. You have nothing to lose that way.