eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Unread Aug 9th, 2006, 09:37 am
eslHQ Member
 
Join Date: Aug 9th, 2006
Location: Italy
Posts: 6
esllou is on a distinguished road
Default Most Common Irregular Verbs in English

They are listed in order of how often they appear in real English as shown by the famous Lancaster-Bergen corpus. These 50 in this order represent an incredible 87% of irregular verb occurrence in English. The other 80 irregular verbs in English make up the other 13%.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Most Common Irregular Verbs.pdf (33.5 KB, 3101 views)

Last edited by esllou : Aug 21st, 2006 at 07:46 am.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Unread Aug 20th, 2006, 06:57 pm
eslHQ Member
 
Join Date: Aug 20th, 2006
Posts: 1
tyrell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Most Common Irregular Verbs in English

Quote:
Quote esllou
They are listed in order of how often they appear in real English as shown by the famous Lancaster-Bergen corpus. These 50 in this order represent an incredible 87% of irregular verb occurrence in English. The other 80 irregular verbs in English make up the other 13%.
____________________
Neil

EDIT: Please keep site promotion in your signature.

What exactly is the Lancaster-Bergen corpus?
I'd like to use this list of verbs in my class, so I'd like to know what it's origin is.

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Unread Aug 21st, 2006, 07:54 am
eslHQ Member
 
Join Date: Aug 9th, 2006
Location: Italy
Posts: 6
esllou is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Most Common Irregular Verbs in English

Quote:
Quote tyrell
What exactly is the Lancaster-Bergen corpus?
I'd like to use this list of verbs in my class, so I'd like to know what it's origin is.

thanks
In linguistics, a corpus (plural corpora) or text corpus is a large and structured set of texts (now usually electronically stored and processed).

Cobuild dictionaries use corpus texts to show real examples of English used in context. The Lancaster/Oslo-Bergen Corpus (LOB): Approximately 1,000,000 words of British written English dating from 1960. The corpus is made up of 15 different genre categories.

http://khnt.hit.uib.no/icame/manuals/lob/INDEX.HTM
__________________
_____________________
Neil

My Free ESL Materials site.
esl-lounge Premium
esl-lounge for Students

Last edited by esllou : Aug 21st, 2006 at 10:34 am.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Unread Jan 29th, 2009, 06:32 pm
eslHQ Member
 
Join Date: Jan 29th, 2009
Posts: 1
amiks812 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Most Common Irregular Verbs in English

Love this worksheet... I'm a Speech-Language Pathologist.....so this will come in handy.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Unread Aug 12th, 2009, 08:49 am
wakeupmartin's Avatar
eslHQ Member
 
Join Date: Aug 12th, 2009
Location: Norwich, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 18
wakeupmartin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Most Common Irregular Verbs in English

Thank you very much. How useful! I've just translated the list into Polish. I'll definitely use this with my students. Are there any other similar lists? 50-100 most common regular verbs? 500 most common nouns etc.?
Martin
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Unread Sep 3rd, 2009, 09:50 pm
eslHQ Member
 
Join Date: Sep 3rd, 2009
Posts: 1
englishzonehelp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Most Common Irregular Verbs in English

Where are "be", "do", and "have" on this list? I would think that they would be somewhere near the top... It's interesting that they are not in the top 50 at all. I suppose that verb prevalence in writing differs somewhat from that found in spoken language?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Unread Sep 17th, 2009, 06:11 am
wakeupmartin's Avatar
eslHQ Member
 
Join Date: Aug 12th, 2009
Location: Norwich, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 18
wakeupmartin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Most Common Irregular Verbs in English

I think that be, do and have were omitted from the list because they are just far too common, and are used in compound tenses...
I have gone, we are going, we do go, etc...
I'm sure they would hold the top three positions.
Martin
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Unread Oct 8th, 2009, 02:21 pm
duygugul's Avatar
sweetty
 
Join Date: Jan 5th, 2007
Location: Turkey
Posts: 12
duygugul is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Most Common Irregular Verbs in English

Thank you, I can use the list in my class..
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Unread Jun 24th, 2010, 10:03 am
wakeupmartin's Avatar
eslHQ Member
 
Join Date: Aug 12th, 2009
Location: Norwich, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 18
wakeupmartin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Most Common Irregular Verbs in English

Thanks again,
Have just translated the list into Lithuanian...
Very useful with my students.
Martin
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Unread Nov 18th, 2010, 04:35 am
eslHQ Member
 
Join Date: Nov 18th, 2010
Posts: 1
yahel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Most Common Irregular Verbs in English

thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Unread Jul 7th, 2011, 12:37 pm
eslHQ Member
 
Join Date: Jul 7th, 2011
Posts: 1
gizmo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Most Common Irregular Verbs in English

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Unread Dec 8th, 2011, 08:54 am
eslHQ Member
 
Join Date: Dec 8th, 2011
Posts: 1
cavalier35 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Most Common Irregular Verbs in English

thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads Replies
5 Steps to an English Only Classroom 29
Qualification Requirements to Teach English in Asia 14
What's the Difference??? 7
HELP!! irregular verbs.. :( 4
irregular verbs 0

Find the Best TEFL, TESL, TESOL & CELTA Certification Courses - User Submitted Ratings & Reviews for Online, Distance & Abroad TEFL Courses. Over 3,500 reviews of 100+ TEFL schools!

Teach English in Thailand - Onsite and Combined TEFL certification courses in Phuket, Thailand.


Free ESL Flashcards


Similar Threads Replies
5 Steps to an English Only Classroom 29
Qualification Requirements to Teach English in Asia 14
What's the Difference??? 7
HELP!! irregular verbs.. :( 4
irregular verbs 0


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 am.

All materials from this website are for classroom-use only. Digital redistribution of materials, in part or in whole, is strictly forbidden!

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2