eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Sep 20th, 2008, 06:09 am
eslHQ Member

sooy is on a distinguished road
Default Some Games that have worked!

Make a worksheet titled "Find someone who..."
I had about 15 things such as
Favourite colour is Yellow
Has been to a beach
Has been fishing
Was born in December
Can sing a song in English
etc etc etc
The class then circulates with the worksheet correctly asking different students each item until they have a different name in each space.
I wrote the correct start to the questions on the board(just in case they needed help) ie Can you...Have you...was you....Is your
NOW of course ...they try to cheat, they copy others answers, guess answers, forget to ask in English...so I then added a twist
After about 15 minutes of circulating I got the students to sit back down.
I then got one to stand up and say a classmates name and address one of the questions to them. If their classmate answers with an affirmative eg"Yes I have been to a beach" then the student who asked the question sits down and his classmate then takes over and asks another student a question. Sounds easy RIGHT ! but nearly all their answers are incorrect (because they've cut corners)...so when their classmate answers "No...I haven't been to the beach"..The student has to keep asking different classmates questions until he/she gets a correct answer. It causes much laughter and is is great for practicing asking questions correctly.
The other curve ball I threw in was...the worksheet contained a question "Find someone who......Doesn't like chocolate"
So when the students are standing up asking each other questions trying to get a yes...so they can sit down...It didn't take long for the students to catch on that they could quickly ask someone if they like chocolate...the other student would say NO and sit straight back down before realising they had been caught out.(find someone who doesn't like chocolate)
Unread Sep 20th, 2008, 06:22 am
eslHQ Member

Default Re: Some Games that have worked!

At the start of the semester...I showed the students a power point photo show about my home in Australia... Things I like and like to do etc...I then made lists on the board (as they called out) of things that they like (animals,food,sport and recreation,... I then threw a fluffy dice into the crowd of students...basically,whoever caught it, rolled the dice and whatever number it landed on...well that was the amount of things they had to tell me about themselves. That student then threw the dice to someone else....and on and on
If the students didn't want to catch it ...I made it that if it hit them, they had to answer(It's a soft fluffy dice) or whoever it was closest to. It was a good introductory lesson that also went over well...For the more advanced Junior 3 students who were quite capable of telling me a lot about themselves, I just used a big soft (blow up)rubber ball the same way and they had to say the works It kind of turned into an English "Brandy ball game" lesson though...
Unread Sep 20th, 2008, 06:23 am
eslHQ Member

and the minimal pairs fly swatter game works great...but as I mentioned in another post...It can get really loud and noisy!!
Unread Sep 30th, 2008, 09:32 am
eslHQ Member

msolana is on a distinguished road

sounds good I might give it a shot in my spanish class