eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Sep 5th, 2006, 08:19 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

Mr. E English is on a distinguished road
Default Re: If you could only play one game ...

This is a great game, I use in the classroom only occasionally, based on the BBC TV show “Call my Bluff”.

The purpose is to provide freer speaking practice of relative clauses but it also gives intensive listening practice as an added extra.

It can be done as a pair work activity but I usually set it up as a class competition with two teams.

Procedure –
  • Divide the class into two teams. Appoint a team leader. Elicit a name for each team and write this on the board.
  • Give each group a list of 6 words with definitions – different words for each team. The words need to be unusual vocabulary items the students will not know, e.g. a colander / a teetotaler / a pantry, etc.
  • Set a 10 minute time limit. Each team must write two more definitions for each word which sound as if they could be correct but which are actually wrong, e.g. correct answer given from teacher = ‘a teetotaler is someone who never drinks alcohol.’ Extra incorrect definitions from students = ‘a teetotaler is someone who can not count’ / ‘a teetotaler is someone who only drinks tea’. The teacher needs to monitor this closely and assist where needed.
  • Now the competition. Write the first word from team ‘A’ on the board. Team ‘A’ reads out the three definitions for this word trying to sound convincing for each one. Team ‘B’ listens and chooses the correct word. They can ask team ‘A’ to repeat the definitions as often as they need. If they guess correctly they get a point, if not team ‘A’ gets the point.
  • Continue this process for all the words from each team.
  • Finish – calculate the scores and cheer the winners.
  • Round off – recap on the vocabulary covered and the correct meanings.

In total this will give you a good solid classroom activity which will last for about 40 minutes - and they say TV's no good for us!!