eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Sep 1st, 2006, 01:51 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

stanley is on a distinguished road
Default Need ideas for themed units - grades 3-5

Well, I've just had the first morning in my new job. So far so good I finally know my timetable and who I'm teaching. I will be teaching grades 3-5, many nationalities, including native speakers of English . I will meet each class only once a week for 40 minutes and I am to design my own curriculum. The classes should focus on speaking and listening (they have Chinese teachers to teach them reading and writing) . What I am looking for is ideas for themed units that will appeal to this age group. I have no text books to base it around. I have tried to find 'Let's Go' as I was going to look at the contents pages and base my lessons around that - after recommendations from you lot! Can't find it here in China though and not keen to buy over the net as I really don't know that it's what I need. Please please - any ideas for themes around which I can plan a few weeks' lessons.
Sorry for rambling and thanks.
Unread Sep 1st, 2006, 04:43 am
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need ideas for themed units - grades 3-5

What level are the sts?
Are the sts 7-10? (sorry I don't know age - grade)?
Do you have grammar that you have to teach, or do you have to come up with that, as well?
Unread Sep 1st, 2006, 06:35 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

They are age 8 - 10. I have not been given any guidelines at all. It is totally up to me. I will be teaching grammar but not so that the students know about it!
Unread Sep 1st, 2006, 08:57 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

Quickly or just to get you started:

Vegetables, fruit, or insects are great for discussing likes and dislikes. Fruit - likes, insects -dislikes, vegetables a mixture.

Emotions bring up a lot of conversation. What makes you ~? What do you do when you are ~? or simple 'Are you hungry?

Places around town also come with a large amount of discussion. Who works there? What are they called? Have you ever been there? Do you go there a lot? Where do your parents work? ...

Jobs are along the same line. What does he do? Where does she work? What do you want to be in the future? Where do you want to work? ...

Nature. What kinds of things can you find around where they are? Have they ever been to the ocean? an island? the jungle? What lives in a pond? in a cave? in a hole? ...

Animals!

Eric has some flashcard here at eslHQ that you can print off for each of these themes. I also have flashcards on my site MES-English for these as well.
Unread Sep 1st, 2006, 08:42 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

Thank you so much. That really helps - especially your insect idea!