eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jul 17th, 2006, 01:42 pm
eslHQ Member

ruth1966 is on a distinguished road
Default Tell me about your Korean City

I lived in a small city in South Korea for about three years and loved it. Just an hour and a half from Seoul, surrounded by beautiful mountains, it had a lively foreign community and we'd all get together about once or twice a month for festivities of some sort. If there was nothing to celebrate, we'd make something up.There were a few semi decent restaurants, loads of norebangs, two movie theatres and an annual martial arts festival. Oh and two department stores - woo hoo !
I saved a lot of money because there really wasn't that much to do unless I took a trip on the weekends. I also formed some amazing friendships both foreign and Korean. I miss that place...
So, how about you? Tell me about your Korean city...
Unread Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:03 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tell me about your Korean City

Cool thread! Don't know how i missed it...

anyway, i live in daejeon, about 2 hours south of seoul. though its the 7th largest city (i think), it still feels somewhat small townish.

there are about 1,500,000 people here and its surrounded by mountains on 2 sides. 1 side is Gyeryong National Park.

one cool thing about daejeon is that its easy to get away to all other places in korea as we are nearly in the middle of the country.

there are a lot of foreigners here though not a lot of organization to get them together, other than the bar, of course. walmart, costco and carrefore can satisfy most western cravings but if you're looking for good beer or cheese, you might want to head to seoul.

the subway is almost done with parts of it already opened.

ive lived here my entire time in korea mostly because of the size and the fact that winters and summers are worse in other cities. i also have quick access to the mountains and rock climbing.

thats daejeon in a nut shell...

eric
Unread Aug 7th, 2006, 09:43 pm
eslHQ Zealot

jenniferp is on a distinguished road

Ruth1966 were you in Cheongju by any chance?
Your description is very similar to how I would have described my town, except for the movie theatres. I was in Jincheon and Cheongju was the next city to us. We also had taekwondo world championships, a few good restaurants, not so many shops - hence the need to escape to Seoul for shopping, a couple of supermarkets. We were surrounded by rice field galore.
Unread Aug 16th, 2006, 07:04 am
eslHQ Member

ruth1966 is on a distinguished road

Hi Jennifer.
Yes I was near Cheong Ju !
How did you like it?
Unread Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:19 am
eslHQ Zealot

jenniferp is on a distinguished road

Hi Ruth,
I liked Cheongju well enough. It was more fun and lively than my town. I'mback in Korea again now and am in a district of Suwon <Yeong-Tong> and I'm loving that even more. We have a huge Homeplus, a Carrefoure not so far away, a not so huge department store, a cinema, hundreds of restaurants and bars (as per usual) and easy cheap access to Seoul by bus.
Unread Sep 10th, 2006, 11:23 pm
eslHQ Member

chachee99 is on a distinguished road

I'm in Seoul, which is the best place to live in Korea because there is always something to do. Plus, the subway system here rocks!!!! I wouldn't live in any other city in Korea except Seoul.
Unread Sep 17th, 2006, 08:41 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote chachee99
I'm in Seoul, which is the best place to live in Korea because there is always something to do. Plus, the subway system here rocks!!!! I wouldn't live in any other city in Korea except Seoul.
Have you lived in any other place in Korea?